Friday, December 12, 2003

No one can say anything that will cause me to rethink my position on the invasion of Iraq. Death by wood-chipper, torture by power-drill and delightful dips in acid baths were all horrors faced by the Iraqi people under Saddam's regime. Someone needed to do something to eliminate this evil. Saddam had eliminated everyone who could have possibly opposed him. If not us, who? In fact, we should have done something sooner, and not just in Iraq. We should have intervened earlier in the Balkans and we should have stopped the genocide in Rwanda. I regret the suffering experienced by the Iraqi people as a result of our invasion but I still think that the end justifies the means.

I realize that it is a cliche, but I truly believe that the quotation ascribed to Edmund Burke summarizes my position best:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

No comments: